drone and drone training dealsfree deliverydrones on finance
Back to All Blog Posts

Do I need a licence to fly a drone UK?

Do I need a licence to fly a drone UK?

A 'Drone Licence' in the UK is called a PfCO, Permission for Commercial Operations. Up until December 31st 2020, if you want to fly a drone for work you will need one. If you are flying for fun as a hobby then you don't need a licence, but you do need to know your responsibilities when it comes to the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) regulations. In 2021 the PfCO will be replaced by 2 new 'licences' called the A2CofC (A2 Certificate of Competence) and the GVC (General Visual Line of Sight Certificate). So rather than a drone licence, you have a qualification that allows you to pilot your particular drone safely and confidently.

I just fly for fun - do I need a drone licence?

No, you don't need a licence, but you do have legal responsibilities. Drone rules and regulations vary depending on the type of drone you have and where you want to fly it. For instance, if your drone weighs over 250g and you want to fly it outside in the UK, then you are required by law to take the CAA online theory test to make sure you know where you should and shouldn't be flying and the basic safety essentials.

Watch our video for a step by step explanation of your responsibilities as a drone owner and operator here>

Kid flying drone

Do kids need a drone licence?

Children need to understand the rules as well as adults when operating a drone. The bottom line is that drones are great fun but shouldn't be seen as toys. They have the potential to cause damage and injury and the reputation of drone pilots is something that each and every one of us, flying for business or pleasure needs to consider. Kids make great drone pilots if they are responsible. They will need to learn the rules and take the test like everyone else to show they have understood the do's and don'ts. We would advise parental supervision when your child is operating a drone. Children over the age of 13 are very welcome on our drone training courses.

How can I get a drone licence?

If you are planning on making money from flying a drone you'll need to qualify. You can take a drone training course with an official CAA approved training provider such as Flyby Technology.

A professional drone training company will guide you towards the qualification most suited to your needs and help you futureproof your business in a fast paced, ever changing and evolving industry. Flyby have been involved with the industry from the beginning and are at the forefront of drone innovation, training future professional pilots and consulting with industries about the amazing capabilities of drones. Saving lives, saving money and making the British drone industry great! If you'd like to know more, visit us at www.flybydronetraining.co.uk

Flyby Drone Shop offers some amazing deals on the latest drones with £200 off training, so check out our unique Flyby Deals here>

Watch our video on how to register your drone and apply for an Operator ID here>

Write a Comment Close Comment Form